Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Five Years

July 30 was our 5th wedding anniversary. Mom and Dad watched our kids for us while we headed up to Park City for the weekend. I found a great deal at the Westgate resort and spa at the Canyons. We had a blast.
I am lucky to have a hubby who is into history as much as I am. We went to the Park City museum on old Main St. and didn'
t finish seeing everything before they had to close. So we went back the next afternoon and spent a long time in there. The old museum workers were pretty surprised to see two young-uns spend so much time in there. I know it's weird, but hey, we were happy in there!!!

Back in the 60's or 70's, the ski resort (there was only one at the time in Park City) only had one lift and there was always a huge line to get on it. So they built these rail cars that took people up to the top of the mountain through one of the mine drainage tunnels. It was dark and slow and cold with water dripping on your head the whole way. Not to mention you were in a mine drainage tunnel underground. It wasn't very popular and only ran for about four years.

This is us in the old Jail in the cold basement of the museum. Quite a few people died in here from being in drunken brawls and never getting any medical care. There were some cool symbols that some of the miners stained onto the walls of their cells with candle smoke. One was a huge symbol of a miners union the guy belonged to. I didn't take a pick though:(

I tried to get Alex to sit on this old jail toilet for a pic, but he didn't think it was as cool of an idea as I did.

We went for a nice drive up to Deer Valley so Alex could show me this resort he was working on last summer. It is huge, this is only one part of it. It is going to be Utah's only 6 or 7 star resort (I can't remember how many). Anyway, while they were digging to put in the foundations, the constructions workers stumbled upon a big cache of dynamite from the old mining days that had been buried for who knows how long. Work had to stop while specialist came and carefully took out the dynamite.

View from Deer Valley

We spent Saturday hiking at the Canyons. We just walked from our room to the gondola and headed up the mountain. We did the Tombstone Trail. The trial map said to was difficult and it wasn't lying. Of course, Al didn't seem to even be out of breath, but I sure felt it. This is looking down at a big valley from our gondola. This part was pretty scary, we were a long way up.

At the top of our hike. The views were worth every step.

It's been a great five years full of adventures. Love you babe!!!


4 comments:

Alissa said...

Happy Anniversary!! It looks like you guys had a great time celebrating! :)

DeAnna said...

How fun....I wish I could get Jason to be as into museums like Alex is! We went to the Westgate once too, it's fun!

* said...

I'm so jealous!! I want to do that too. . . I bet it was the vacation to remember!

Jennifer and Kaydon said...

Looks like tons of fun! Happy five years :)