Sunday, May 24, 2009

Demolition

Well, our landlords have decided that they are going to turn the house we are living in into a duplex. Their son Riley is getting married this summer and they want to have a place for them to live. Alex and I had started to look for a new place to live, but the landlords don't want us to move out. They really like us and so they're putting a bunch of money into the house and we won't even have to leave. It really won't take much work to make it a duplex because the house already has two kitchens and two bathrooms and the two parts of the house are pretty much separated anyway. They are adding an additional wash/drying hook ups for us upstairs and we are also getting a new bathroom. And they are replacing all the windows in two weeks. Alex has been doing some remodeling for the already. He did the bathroom downstairs last summer and he is redoing our bathroom upstairs now. The landlords just give him a blank check and tell him to go get the new tub and toilet that he wants. Its pretty cool. It's good that Alex has been working on the plumbing because he's found major problems just about everywhere. I also didn't envy him when he got to crawl in the dark little crawl space underneath the house on his stomach to get to the plumbing. He said there were a million spiders down there. I think he had fun though when he go to take a sledgehammer to the old iron tub in the bathroom. His buddy told him that those old iron tubs weigh a ton and the easiest way to get it out is to break it in pieces. Man, they don't make them like they used to. That tub took one heck of a beating before finally cracking. So here is a farewell memento to the old yellow toilet and tub.

3 comments:

Alissa said...

Wow, I wish we could remodel on someone else's dime! That's great that you get a remodel and don't have to move! Sounds like fun!

* said...

I wish his son wasn't moving in so then Brandon and I could! I'm so jealous that is so fun!!

Nielsen Family said...

Oh I'm glad that it worked out for you guys. I hate moving its such a pain!